The following information was provided by Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice. To view the complete article about the Doylemarx story which includes bios and rare photos, please copy and paste this link into your browser: http://www.joycetice.com/business/doylemarx.htm
In 1904, Mr. Doyle Marks introduced a line of pianos built to his own specifications and designed to meet the need for a quality instrument at a low cost. With it came the trade name "Doylemarx". The pianos, both uprights and grands, were manufactured in New York City, under the supervision of Julius Winter, and were distributed from Elmira throughout the country. From then until 1930 when Mr. Winter died and production was discontinued, thousands of Doylemarx pianos were sold, in forty-four states; and, even today, ninety per cent of these still are in daily use and in high favor.
Also in 1904, Mr. Marks began to extend his field of operations by setting up branch stores. In rapid succession, establishments were opened in Galeton, Pa., Tory, Pa., Sayre, Pa., Ithaca, N.Y., Painted Post, N.Y., and Addison, N.Y.; and, subsequently, locations were made in Towanda, Pa., and Corning, N.Y., and on Langdon Plaza, Elmira. After 1925, because of changed business conditions, Mr. Marks found it advantageous to discontinue these stores and to employ field representatives in their place. On September 9, 1945, the Langdon Plaza store, last of the branch stores, was closed, and the entire business was concentrated at 309 East Water Street once more.
D. S. Andrus Doylemarx Advertisements
Early 20th Century "Doylemarx" Advertisements From The D.S. Andrus Piano Company