The Marchal & Smith Piano Company was established in New York in 1859. In the early years, Marchal & Smith built a line of square grand pianos, parlor organs, and chapel organs. The firm gradually integrated into building upright pianos and grand pianos in the late 19th and early 20th Centuries. Their pianos and organs were sold under both 'Marchal & Smith' and 'University' brand names, and they were known to build very elegant and attractive models. There is no mention of Marchal & Smith after the 1920's era, indicating that they went out of business before the Great Depression. The few extant Marchal & Smith pianos we have restored in our shop have consistently shown to be of very good quality.
INSTRUMENT CATALOGS & EPHERMERA
Marchal & Smith Catalog 1890
Marchal & Smith sales catalog featuring both Marchal & Smith brand and University brand pianos and organs, circa 1890