Vose, James W.
Like most Boston makers, Vose & Sons built truly exceptional pianos. The firm was originally established in 1851 by James Whiting Vose on Washington Street in Boston. In the 19th Century, Boston was home to a large population of old world craftsmen who had immigrated to the United States from the old country. These craftsmen possessed amazing skill in woodworking and piano building, and Vose was in a position to take full advantage of this amazingly skilled workforce. Vose built a number of high quality square grand, upright and grand pianos under the name 'James W. Vose' during this era. James Vose brought his sons into the business and established the firm of 'Vose & Sons' in 1889. In the 1920s, Vose & Sons built a new state-of-the-art factory in Watertown, Greater Boston. Not long after, the Great Depression hit and the firm was forced to become a part of the huge Aeolian-American Corporation. The Vose name continued to be manufactured until the 1980s when Aeolian went out of business. Vose & Sons is consistently one of the finest pianos we see come through our restoration shop today. (See Vose & Sons)Return To Brands
James W. Vose Advertisements
19th Century Advertisements For James W. Vose Piano Company, Boston